action bedding

David Love davidlovepianos@hotmail.com
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 15:53:23 -0000

A very quick method involves pressing down on the top of the glides using
the underside of the pin block as leverage.  Put the action in with the
cheek blocks screwed down.  Back off the glides using a tuning hammer or
special regulating tool.  You will be able to tell if the glide is backed
off by pressing down on the top of the glide with the regulating tool using
the underside of the pin block as a leverage point.  If there is space under
the glide you will see the keys flex slightly downward.  Back them all off
and then go through one by one and turn the glide bolt down until the
keyboard stops moving down when you push down on the glide.  Repeat the
procedure a second time to double check.  If you have a hard time seeing the
keys move downward, hold a ruler against the front of the keys for a
reference, or you can also use a Jaras white key leveler--you see, it does
have a use.

David Love