Frozen key dowells

John Lillico, RPT staytuned@idirect.com
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 12:08:21 -0500

>I have been reading this thread and for the life of me, can not figure out
>what a key dowel is. The capstan?
>
>Terry Farrell
>Piano Tuning & Service
>Tampa, Florida
>mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com

Yeh, Terry, you got it in one..... almost!

I know I threw you with the extra "l" (that's old English). You thought it was "do-well" at the end of the key! But in my limited vocabulary, the dowel is the wooden thing on top of the wire which (the dowel) adjusts up and down. A capstan is the same thing "cept it is made of metal.

So someone please tell me, what do we call the wires that come out of the back of the key to accommodate the dowel for it's these wires that are breaking?

John Lillico, RPT
Oakville, ON