Key thumper maintenance

Sun, 11 Feb 2001 06:42:47 -0600

Terry,

At 21:41 02/10/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>It could be that you are not thumping the sharps as hard as i do, but it
>sure makes for a more stable tuning, at least in my case. The black from
>the sharps does INDEED rub off onto the felt hammer whacker, albeit in
>small amounts, but it does add up.
>
>Terry Peterson
>
>>Heavenly days! What the heck kind of pianos are you whakking? I have been
>>using my double hammer whakker for a month or more and have yet to
>>clean/file it because it is not so dirty.

I've been using a whackker/thumper for many years, and the only times I can
recall that I transferred any darkness to the white keys has been on pianos
which had dirty keys in the first case. What I think is happening is that
you are cleaning the tops of the sharps and depositing that crud on the
whites.  What colo(u)r are the natural tails in the top and bottom octaves?

Oops.  I take that back (a little).   I remember, now, doing a piano where
the sharps had been "refinished".  For whatever reason, the recently
applied black coating was flakeing off and I was transferring _that_!

Clean keys won't do that on approximately 99.44% of pianos.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Decorah, Ia.  mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
then used against you.