Hunting the Natural Beat

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Fri, 09 Feb 2001 16:11:51 -0600

on 2/9/01 11:13 AM, Richard Brekne at Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no wrote:

> Play in appeggio form  a fundamental, 4th, 5th, and octave as a
> "sounding base" for a note three octaves above the fundemental.

Why would you use the 5th, which has no simple relationship with the target
note 3 octaves above?

One technique that I have written about in the Journal is a check that uses
all the notes which have a partial coincident with the target note.

The construction of notes which all share a coincident partial on the target
note is called the chord of nature.

In your 3 octave example, these notes would be the "fundamental" as you call
it with its 8th partial on the target note, the 2nd (7th partial on the
target), the 4th (6th partial), the minor 6th (5th partial), the octave (4th
partial), the 11th (3rd partial), and the double-octave (2nd partial).

Many have found these note to be useful in checking the high treble.

Kent Swafford