Touchweight quick fix(Medical tubing)

David Renaud studiorenaud@qc.aibn.com
Fri, 09 Feb 2001 09:29:40 -0500

1.5" segments,  added nearly 5 grams to the touchweight.
I did this about a year ago, and need to do to measurements
to confirm what I remember(5gr).

The tubing can can purchased with thick(heavy)or thin(light) walls.

At the time I had just rebuilt a 7" Chickering grand with
massive square shanks, which got me wondering about
adding weight by adding mass around a shank.

I was not equipped to measure the weight of the segments,
only the net effect on the key.

I am going to make some measurements with an action model
tonight and post some numbers. I'll try to find out if moving
the segment up or down the shank is useful to adjust the
effect, and by just how much.

I like that this method is relatively unobtrusive to the action,

It would be easy way to experiment with  hammer
weight on a piano observe how tone is altered when
restoring weight( although the hammers may still be deficient)
to a set of hammers that have been filed/worn down.

There seems to be some interest, so I'm going to
get some real specs. on this and post them.

.