A Day in the University

Fri, 09 Feb 2001 08:32:05 -0600

Mike,
At 08:29 02/09/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>      Discovered after concert tuning in the "too early" morning, that
>the movers mixed up the legs on the SD 10.  The treble sets an inch or
>two higher than the bass and it slopes down alittle toward the back
>leg.  Too late to change, that hall is full of jazz bands,  8 am-6 pm,
>no breaks.  Important jazz artist at 8, think he'll notice?  I can't
>detect any change in tone or touch.
>-Mike Jorgensen

That's one reason why I supervise every grand move on campus.  ...but, the
treble is higher in pitch, why shouldn't it be in altitude?  ;-}

Pianos work fine on moderately downward sloping stages.  Since in solid
geometry three points determine a plane, there is no problem with the plate
torqueing, tuning stability, etc. _Tuning_ with the treble _literally_
downstage was a little disconcerting at first, but not for long.

Conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician -mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College, 700 College Drive, Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
Voice-(319)-387-1204  //  Fax (319)-387-1076(Dept.office)

Education is the best defense against the media.