Hammers and Stanwood

David Stanwood dstanwood@hotmail.com
Thu, 08 Feb 2001 17:04:30 -0000

Dear Scott,

I know that many share your view about higher hammer weight adding a thuddy
woody component to the tone.  I shared that view for a long time as well.  I
have come to learn that this thuddy sound problem cannot be always blamed on
heavier hammers and the positive attributes of a high zone hammer should not
be overlooked.

For example:  The Steinway D that was displayed at the NE Regional PTG
seminar in Quebec a few years ago had Top of the high zone strike weights
yet none of that thuddy sound was evident.  The tone was splendid.  Lloyd
Meyer even called it a "Magic Piano".  A contributing factor was that the
hammers were Hamburg Steinway.  Hard and dense but with enough resiliency to
bounce the hammer off the string.

Some hammers are felted enough to develop density and resiliency at the same
time.   Hardening creates more density at the expense of resiliency.  When I
hear that thuddy woody sound my first reaction USED to be to think about
lightening the hammer.  Now my first reaction is to consider hardening the
hammer and deciding if the condition of the felt is good for this.

As always the considerations are multiple...

David Stanwood