Down-Bearing for Old Board

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 02 Feb 2001 22:33:57 -0600

> Scary to
>think, isn't it!  ;-)

Not for the calloused souls who've been following the List traffic the last
few years. Just keep your head down and follow through. --- Gee, that
sounds kind of profound in a Lee Travino sort of way, don't it?

>Have you ever read Reblitz on this stuff. WONDERFUL resource, BUT! The
>method presented for setting bearing is to look at the downbearing at the
>agraffe/capo bar. I tried that. Wooooooooaaaaaaaa. Bad news. Downbearing at
>the backscale is the prime area to look it think, but also to keep in mind
>the angle of the bridge top (make sure the little rascal is in the same
>plane as the average string plane, such that there is a little front bearing
>and the back bearing.

"BUT" ????????? I've got to admit I would be VASTLY impressed by any even
remotely successful attempt to produce a lucid and workable method of
setting bearing by looking at the agraffe/capo. I don't have the book, but
it looks like I'm going to have to ask around and read this one for myself.

In my admittedly narrow and fiercely ethnocentric world, the major bridge
downbearing players are the bearing angle between the speaking segment and
the segment on the bridge top, and the overall bearing measured between
speaking segment and backscale. Both ought to be positive. A zero or
negative bearing angle between the bridge top segment and the backscale is
relatively non-critical compared to the front termination and overall. That
doesn't mean it should be ignored in the rebuilding process, just that it's
relatively unimportant in the diagnostic and evaluation phase. Ideally,
like you said, both the front and rear bearing angles should be positive in
practice. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Ron N