gnewell/dyna2

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Fri, 02 Feb 2001 00:05:21 -0500

gutlo wrote:

> Greg,
>
> It's quite possible that a thick old varnish finish would require a second
> coat of Dyna2 to strip to the bare wood.  It takes 3 coats to remove my
> PianoLac, but that was 10 coats and PianoLac is much more chemical
> resistant than varnish, lacquer, or shellac.
>
> Except for polyurethane varnish.  That's a tough one for any stripper, but
> Dyna2 will do it with 2 or 3 applications.

All this surprised me as I thought you mentioned that it would do the entire
piano with one gallon of stripper. I'm glad I and found out differently before
I start pricing jobs.

> If, on balance, you think it's better to use a methylene chloride stripper,
> even with health considerations, I'd be happy to refund the money you spent
> on the Dyna2.

Not looking for a refund, I'm just making observations as requested.

> Bear two things in mind:  Dyna2 has no wax.  Gel methylene choride
> strippers all have wax, which must be removed with a toxic thinner and
> elbow grease, or you run the risk of fisheyes.  Dyna2 dissolves and removes
> silicones, the nasty fisheye-making chemical that is in Pledge furniture
> polish.

Earlier you mentioned that it would wash with water. My experience was that it
gums up with the water. Denatured alcohol worked good and did not raise the
grain. It also washed out of the utensils and rags with alcohol where it did
not with water.

--
Greg Newell
Greg's Piano Forté