Piano Rims ./soundboard stiffness

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 22:34:18 EST

.

>   Del writes
> >
> > >Typically the loss of sustain time due to a low-mass,
> > >low-stiffness rim is countered by making the soundboard thicker and the
> ribs
> > >a bit stiffer. (Though ribs don't really have much effect on tone
> > >performance through the last couple of octaves in the treble.)

 Phil Ford
> > Why do you say that?  Should the ribs be removed in
> > this area?  What then?  Make the board a little
> > thicker?
>
> With the bridge so close to the belly rail the stiffness of the soundboard
> panel has much more effect on the soundboard system impedance than do the
> ribs.
>        Del
>
>       Hi   Del
> That being the case  why is  the more modern/recent technique of using a
> spruce rib preferred in the capo treble areas as opposed to the lighter
> weight sugar pine version  which was original equipment?  Also if it is
> true that the ribs don't effect impedance as much as the board stiffness
> does then why so much weakness in the killer regions or is that the point
> where the rib stiffness/impedance really comes into play? My thinking is
> that right around note c- 6 must be crucial cross over point.

     It's clear from the diagram you posted that in radial version boards the
soundboard grain and ribs don't
> cross at right angles in the upper trebles creating greater stiffness and
> the shorter grain angles in front of the bridge at the belly do as well
> (due to the non traditional panel grain orientation off the belly rail ). I
> think I'm starting to get it

   If the ribs have little to do with stiffness/impedance and tone production
up high it would
> seem that all this stiffening shouldn't be needed. However the feedback is
> that the sustain is so much better in this radial board indicating that a
> lot of extra stiffness is needed from the board and the rib to get the
> improved sustain characteristics. Am I missing something?

         My experience is that too much stiffness can make the board a little
stingy in the trebles including the killer region.  > I find that I personally