Piano Rims (rambling post)

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 15:47:13 0000

On Sun, 30 Dec 2001 09:04:09
 Ron Nossaman wrote:
>The bass cutoff bar adds bracing to the long side, >and another cross
>brace can be added too if I think it needs it. There is usually a
>considerable span of un braced belly rail through the mid treble. Since
>part of the idea in doing these redesigns is to fix the many killer octave
>associated problems,  I put one there too. I use maple for the cutoff bar,
>but usually a softer wood for the bracing.
>
>Ron N

Ron,
I wouldn't think that most cutoff bars that I have
seen would add much support to the rim.  Do you
also modify the design of your cutoff bars to make
them heavier?
Why do you use softwood for the bracing?  Also, do
you have any thoughts about why most makers seem
to use softwood for the bracing rather than
hardwood?

Phil F

--
Click here for your very own create-a-date adventure from MatchMaker
Go to http://ecard.matchmaker.com/dating.html