Piano Rims (rambling post)

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 15:40:13 0000

On Sun, 30 Dec 2001 08:33:25
 JIMRPT wrote:

>Phil;
> A few comments here if ya don mind.........
><< "It would be so light and flexible that it couldn't
>absorb any energy.">>
> Kinda the wrong slant here vis a vis soundboards??................A light
>and flexible rim may not "absorb any energy" but it certainly will
>'dissipate' energy and be unable to reflect any, or at least very little,
>energy back to the board.
>
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Jim,
Part of the point of this suggestion was to get
some feedback on why it's necessary to 'reflect'
energy back into the soundboard.  When a 'wave'
gets to the edge of the board, if there is no
obstruction (such as a rim) what's the wave going
to do, jump off into the air?  I don't know much
about wave propogation but I don't think it works
that way.  Something else will happen and the board
will vibrate in a different way.  I don't know
specifically how it would vibrate differently
and I don't know if this would be better than the
way things work now but it might be worth a thought.

Why do you think having a very flexible support
would 'dissipate' energy?  For energy to be
transferred what the energy is transferring into
has to be capable of absorbing it.  If you push on
a noodle very little work is done to move it and
very little of the energy from you finger is going
to 'dissipate' in the noodle.

Phil F

--
Click here for your very own create-a-date adventure from MatchMaker
Go to http://ecard.matchmaker.com/dating.html