piano wire

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 29 Dec 2001 08:17:08 -0600

> Do you prefer Mapes Gold Wire over Roslau (I gather you do)?  What
> differences do you find?  Others care to comment?
>
> David Love

I've recently started using the Mapes IG, and I like it. It is more uniform
in color and temper than anything else I've used. Cleaner too. Blackfinger
and understring felt marking are much less with the Gold. I'm told it has a
higher tensile strength than Roslau, but I haven't managed to get actual
figures on it. I can't tell if there is any difference in sound or not. Too
many other variables. But I do like it.

Oh yes, one more thing. Mapes IG, like Roslau, also requires at least one
small blood sacrifice with each stringing. Some things don't change.

Does anyone out there have the breaking strength figures on the Mapes IG?

Ron N