Universal Bass String Deadness

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 18:14:29 -0600

>...Please consider sharing your installation
>method details...
>...Please address how you cut the winding and
>dress the cut end, any string twisting you might do, and any other final
>prep...
>Terry Farrell

Terry, List,

There really isn't any magic with what I do with these strings.  In fact, I
probably do less than most folks in terms of storage care in the vehicle.

And for the record once again, I don't have a problem with dead sounding
ones, new or old.  I store them in the same type string carrier you
mentioned.  That's the extent of protection they have.

Once I determine the diameter, I dummy install the Universal, mark the
copper winding at both ends with a side cutter on some parallel pliers to
allow it to blend in with its neighbors when pulled to tension, and then I
cut the bitter end allowing enough for the tuning pin coil.

Then I unwrap the unneeded copper at both ends, making certain the wrap is
snugged up against the core with no stray bits and pieces where I made my
mark.  Sometimes I will use needle nose pliers to make it snugged.

Its my current practice to install the string without twists as I have
found no reason to do otherwise.

That's about it.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician