Rust

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 18:13:11 EST

In a message dated Mon, 24 Dec 2001  1:03:05 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Delton, Jr. Eason" <dont_b_flat88@yahoo.com> writes:

> How does one remove the rust that has begun to
> accumulate on the strings, tuning pins, and pin block
> due to a piano being a high humidity situation (this
> is a Kimball spinet piano that was moved from a dry
> area (north Montana), placed in a house where the
> washer and dryer are on the same floor as the piano
> (open kitchen-dining-living room-into-den-type setup)?
>  What's amazing is that the client has a complete
> Dampp-Chaser system but doesn't have it plugged it
> because they believed they didn't need for the area
> they are in.
>
> Merry Christmas to all.
>
> D. Eason, Jr.
> Eason's Piano/Pipe Organ Tuning and Repair

You can take some of the rust off the strings with steelwool or politte, but there is not much that can be done about the rust on the tuning pins. The rust can be taken off the surface of the strings on the tuning pins, but unless you replace the strings and the tuning pins, there is going to be rust inside the coils. And it is not worth it to do that on a Kimball spinet.  I have never heard of rust on a pin block.

Wim