Bird-Cage pianos question

Barrie Heaton piano@a440.co.uk
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 12:37:31 +0000

In message <20011223024547.9207.qmail@web12408.mail.yahoo.com>, Robert
Wilson <pianotechnicianuk@yahoo.com> writes
>Erard certainly did make overdamper pianos, I tune one regularly! Your
>later comments may be right, but it it interesting that makers changed
>their preferences to underdamper and ceased to manufacture
>overdampers. Either way I still say that overdampers were more
>prevalent and now have given way to the underdamper - after all, I am
>not aware of anyone manufacturing an overdamper piano today!

I must admit  I have never come across an Erard with an overdamper
action.    HB stopped making the overdamper action in c1939 a few were
laying around in the factory after the war and were sold possibly to
Amil (the Co-Op).    The very small cottage pianos  by Broadwood I think
did have overdamper actions However, it could have been a Broadwood
White Est 1859  the one I seen was long time ago.

Barrie,
--
Barrie Heaton      PGP key on request           http://www.a440.co.uk/
AcryliKey Ivory Repair System UK ©              http://www.acrylikey.co.uk/