Bird-Cages/Fogger/Snide remarks

Barrie Heaton piano@a440.co.uk
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 19:26:16 +0000

In message <004501c18aec$4014bb60$e7f2a118@tampabay.rr.com>, Farrell
<mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com> writes
>My understanding of most (all???) of the birdcages is that they were
>rather lightly built (frame, soundboard, etc. nothing to write home
>about) and not very big - both factors making restoration less sensible.
>Is that true, or may I be off base with that (I've only seen a half dozen or
>so of these rascals).

The junk shipped to the 1# US may be - but there are some very nice
birdcages pianos in the UK which would knock the socks of some of the
pretty boxes with strings  coming out of some factory's today.

Barrie,

1# Most of the pianos that came to the USA in the 70's and 80's where
what had been condemned in the UK we use to send upwards of 200 pianos a
month to the US and that was just the company I worked for, the vast
majority were spring and loop pianos which are terrible,  all case and
no piano, in some it was only the woodworm holding hands that stopped
the pianos form falling apart. We were benign paid to take them away and
you were giving us  £150 per piano untouched.   by the early 80's we
were paying £20.00 for them and selling them to the US for £100. Then it
just got silly to many company's   chasing the same junk pianos

--
Barrie Heaton      PGP key on request           http://www.a440.co.uk/
AcryliKey Ivory Repair System UK ©              http://www.acrylikey.co.uk/