Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

Robin Hufford hufford1@airmail.net
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 00:29:24 -0800

Given a level of understanding similar to that prated below I certainly
can
understand why it would not be very useful to wave theory, as is
indicated by
the author.  Little of this confused and foolish post  would be familiar
to a
physics student either, at least one that could pass the course.  In
general I
make no references to "authorities", preferring instead to rely on
coherent  and
reasoned argument -  a method plainly  distant to the consciousness of
the
author below but in this case it would be sinful not to make an
exception:
    " Newton's First Law:  A particle  originally at rest, or moving in
straight line with a constant velocity, will remain in this state
provided the
particle is not subject to an unbalanced force.
     Newton's Second Law:  A particle acted upon by an unbalanced force
experiences an acceleration  a  that has the same direction as the force
and a
magnitude that is directly proportional to the force.
     Newton's Third Law:  The mutual forces of action and reaction
between  two
particles are equal, opposite, and collinear."
      "Shortly after formulating his three laws of motion, Newton
postulated a
law governing the mutual attraction between any two particles.  In
mathematical
form this law can be expressed as".......(there follows the formula).
Hibbeler
ENGINEERING MECHANCIS
      Should one wish to find the derivative of a function I would
certainly
suggest that one differentiate it although it seems the genius of the
author
below has discovered a new method.  We should now learn to derivate.
       I have not, in any of the intense arguments, or at any other time
during
some years reading this list, thought the term ignorant, which has been
thrown
around in the discussions of late, had any relevance to the proponents
of any
point of view.  However, at least momentarily and in this instance,  I
waver.
Robin Hufford