"Birdcage Pianos"

Clair Dunn cadunn@vt2000.com
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 15:30:56 -0600 (CST)

Joe-
Just about 2 months ago I tuned my first "birdcage piano". It did take
longer to tune, but I thought it was exciting to see and to work on.

I've read about them, but never thought I'd see one. So, I for one, liked
the experience. I didn't charge any more though.

BUT -- I assume that the system was a precursor to the current system. But,
I don't know why it was done that way unless there was something to be
gained by damping on the short side of the strike point.

Can you tell me why?? And, it was a Boyd (London) -- anybody know anything
about them?

Thanks,
Clair

--