Bird-Cages/Fogger/Snide remarks

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 13:55:04 -0600

>Joe: I have no inherent prejudice against birdcage pianos.  Its just that
>99.9% of the ones that I have seen are in absolutely unusable condition, and
>need complete rebuilding, if such a thing is possible.  When I start
>discussing the extent and cost of the work that would make their piano
>useable, the owners start getting that glazed-eye look that tells me that
>there's no point in proceeding.  The really sad part is that frequently they
>bought the thing at an auction for a ridiculous amount of money.  Your
>experience must be different. I would be interested in hearing and seeing
>one restored, but as yet I have not seen one or had a client who was
>remotely interested in having theirs restored.
>Patrick Poulson, RPT

But all the keys work, and it's too pretty to be worn out! I
resomethingorothered one of these about 25 years ago the year I worked for
another rebuilder. Hammers, strings, dampers, re leathered and rehinged
everything, epoxied bridge pins in place, and rebuilt the back - which was
a loosely organized collection of wandering posts and spacer blocks. I'd do
another one, hopefully a whole lot better than I did that poor thing, on a
couple of conditions. That the customer accepts the full list of what I
consider necessary work, that they agree to pay the likely high price I
would ask to do the job, that they understand why I won't guarantee
something I don't have experience with and am largely ignorant of, and that
they never ever ever ask me to service it. But then I've never tuned one in
playable condition, so I may be missing a real thrill.

Ron N