Cracked plate

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 17:00:19 +0000

At 7:13 AM -0600 12/13/01, Todd Mapes wrote:

>This week I experienced my first cracked plate. ...  I then
>explained the pitch raise procedure that I performed and told him
>that to the best of my knowledge, I had exercised due professional
>care ....
>So, that brings me to the questions - Have you or anyone you know
>been sued because of a cracked plate?  If so, how did you defend
>yourself in court and what was the ultimate outcome?

I'm sure your client hasn't a leg to stand on.  If a plate cracks, it
is almost certainly the maker's fault and in this case the plate
almost certainly had a crack 3/4 the way through the metal either
since new or for a long time.

In Europe every technician is familiar with cracking plates in
certain old Bechstein grands.  These plates were installed "green",
ie. without being weathered, and besides, the pattern-maker made the
corners far too sharp and inadequately filleted so that the plates
have terrific internal stress from the beginning.  These plates can
crack in four or five places.  If one of these should open up during
a pitch raise or a move or just spontaneously, that's just the
owner's bad luck.

Whenever I restring a piano now, I warn the customer that in the very
unlikely event of the plate breaking, I will take no responsibility.
I was very lucky once to notice an incipient crack in a bar of an
Ibach grand I was about to rebuild.  I phoned the customer and warned
her the bill would be higher, since I'd need to have the plate
stitched.  Indeed, when I took off the tension, the crack widened and
the bar parted.  I thanked goodness I'd covered myself.  The cause of
the original crack was pure maker error;  the plank did not mate with
the underside of the plate and the forcible screwing down of the
plate to the plank when the piano was made had introduced an
insupportable stress.

The piano you are dealing with is obviously for the scrap heap, but
cracked plates can be stitched successfully using the Metallock
process.  This involves a special dumbbell-shaped ( =O=O=O=O= )
"rivet" of high-tensile nickel which joins the two parts together.
Metallock have centres in various places and a man comes out to the
job. Very impressive and, in my limited (thank goodness) experience,
quite successful.  Cast iron CANNOT be welded or brazed.

Good luck with your client.  The best thing is to get one or two
reputable technicians to write to you explaining the situation and
show the letters to your client.  If he's adamant, it's his own
look-out.  You can sleep easy.

JD