Biasco Baldwin Puzzler Answer/Question

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Sat, 8 Dec 2001 09:43:12 EST

The AO string had not been properly threaded through the bridge pins, i.e.
instead of jogging to the right of one pin and to the left of the other, it
was to the right of both pins, therefore not being seated to the bridge and
causing a giant rattle.

The client was told that the piano was completely prepped, and I can't
imagine anyone not noticing this if they did.  I told the client this, and I
recommended that I seat the strings to the bridge to insure a true tone.
(There were some minor false beats in the high treble and tenor areas.)

What would the general consensus be on prepping procedures for new pianos, in
other words, what SHOULD be done?

At the store where I work, here is our prepping procedure for every new
piano.  (This list is for vertical pianos, which is my responsibility at the
store.)
    1. Seat all the strings to the bridge.  (Front and back of bridge.)
    2. Spray front rail and balance rail keypins w/TFL50.
    3. Spray wippen pads w/TFL50.
    4. Adjust for lost motion, if necessary.
    5. Set key height, and level keys, if necessary.
    6. Set key dip.
    7. Align hammers to strings.
    8. Set let off.
    9. Set backchecking.
    10. Adjust pedals if necessary.
    11. Tune to A442.

Often, we can skip several of the steps, but I've had to adjust every single
thing on that list on one piano or another.  It seems obvious to me that
Biasco certainly did not seat the strings to the bridge:  is this something
that every store SHOULD do on a new piano, or does the store where I work go
that extra mile?  (It's  the only store I've every worked at, so I don't know
what standard procedure is.)

Tom Sivak