Front Rail Felt Theory

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Fri, 07 Dec 2001 11:03:37 -0200

> I am still troubled with this front rail felt thing. Is there any
> rhyme or reason for a billion different sizes?

They still have old die plates for presses, might as well use them? I
assume these look like cardboard box formers (seems like cutters got
sharpened recently).

Octave spans vary a little, so do widths of sharps and natural tails.
Some antique pianos use cloth strips underneath punchings, those with
key upstops can use softer cloth. Having a selection is nice, I'm
building a wooden rotary press to make some really tiny ones.

Aren't some sold specifically for uprights?

Clark