Front Rail Felt Theory

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 15:41:25 -0500

What is the deal with front rail felt? All keys are about the same size and
travel about the same amount. Why are there at least two different diameter
felts and many different thicknesses available? I suppose some of the felt
is even of various densities.

First, why are there big diameter and small diameter? Where are they used?
Why?

Thickness. You could always use thin felt and make up the difference with
thick punchings. Do some pianists like thick felt for a nice cushy feel?
Some like thin for a more firm feel? Sure is easier to be consistent with
dip with the thinner felt. What is the deal here? Why use thick or thin?

Thanks. I'll sleep better tonight if I get some good input.   ;-)

Terry Farrell