Lacquer on Aggraffes

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 20:04:24 +1100

Hi folks,

Sorry I'm a late arrival on this thread.

>Joseph Garrett wrote:
>
>>  Richard,
>>  Hmmmm? Now you got me thinking! It is possible that my cleaning the
>>  termination point, on the aggraffe(s), of lacquer, actually refined the
>>  termination point as well. That is entirely possible IMO. However, I tend to
>>  stay away from anything that might, in the remotest possibility, deter the
>  > sound. I wonder if Ron O has any thoughts on this.

Hi Joe, yes I suspect also the hysteresis loss effect of lacquer on
agraffe holes. We are now cutting all agraffe holes, whether new or
original. New agraffes can be just as noisy as the original ones, as
Roger mentioned. We're now electroless-nickel plating our agraffes to
a thickness of 0.002" (0.05 mm). This type of plating covers the
interior string hole surface with the same 0.002" coating. The plated
surface has an as-plated hardness of 45 Rockwell C, but is further
hardened by heating to 260 degrees C for four hours. Those of you who
saw our piano at Reno would have seen these agraffes. All our
counter-bearing bars are treated with the same plated finish. When
fitting the agraffes to the plate, we now turn brass washers to the
individual thou' thickness required to tighten each agraffe to the
appropriate orientation when tight. This involves tensioning the
agraffes first to ascertain the degree of anticlockwise rotation
required, the washer thickness being calculated and parted off. While
this might sound tedious, its quite quick once you get used to it.
Furthermore, it allows for the agraffes to be set with a minimum of
vertical misalignment.

Ron O.
--

Website:  http://www.overspianos.com.au