key bushing glue experiment

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Tue, 04 Dec 2001 16:45:14 -0800

At 06:48 PM 12/4/2001 -0500, Clyde wrote:
>As promised, I did a test on the removability of key bushings that were
>installed using Elmer's Glue-All (white) glue.  I soaked the bushing
>cloth with water containing a small amount of wallpaper remover, using a
>needle-point applicator bottle, and ten minutes later the bushings were
>completely loose.  The sample had been glued ten days ago, plenty of
>time to cure, I should think.

I've had people tell me that I should use hot hide glue for keybushings
because of the white glue removal problem, but I never had any trouble getting
them back out if need be. Also, they seemed to end up fitting better
with the white glue, which I usually use, instead of the hot hide. This
might be because I had no experience with the hot hide glue, so I may
not have used the right viscosity.

Susan