Steinway strike line

Sat, 1 Dec 2001 10:56:09 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Delacour" <JD@Pianomaker.co.uk>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: December 01, 2001 9:30 AM
Subject: Re: Steinway strike line

> Hello Dale.  I find this quite interesting and am convinced by your
> examples.  Have you any idea what year the mods to the plate were
> brought in?

I'm not sure these were 'modifications' in the sense of the term you
probably mean. It has been my impression over the years that these were/are
problems with the plate patterns that simply crept in over the years. The
capo tastro portion of the mold is up in the cope and is dealt with
separately from the rest of the pattern.

I suspect that most of the Steinways you get there would have been in
Hamburg, no? And hasn't Hamburg, over the years, had their own plates cast
somewhere in Europe? If this is the case, you won't encounter the same
problems we do with the NY pianos. But do check. I'd be real interested to
know if this is actually a design strike line problem or a pattern problem.

Del