Prepping the Piano for the Tuner - slightly OT

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 01 Dec 2001 12:55:43 -0600

>I routinely tune the top section of a grand (or a vertical) while sitting on
>the side (except of course when they jam the piano up against a wall or some
>such) with the piano leg between my legs (no hanky-panky here). Sometimes
>even this arrangement requires a bit taller tip to clear the capo bar! FWIW
>
>Terry Farrell

Me too, and I've been considering printing up a brochure on piano
placement. After the usual "do not immerse in water", "keep out of direct
sunlight", "position on the correct side of outside walls", "assure that if
the lid will open past the shelf or picture", and "not straddling floor
furnaces" stuff, I want the following: Sit down on the bench at the piano.
Now, moving the bench as necessary, strike with your right hand, any octave
containing the low A. Then, again moving the bench as necessary, strike
with your left hand, any octave containing the high C. If this can be done
without injury to either yourself or the surrounding area, you may call
your piano tuner. If not, relocate the instrument and try again.

Ron N