Crack fillers - old soundboards

Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:52:51 EDT

In a message dated 4/30/2001 2:14:21 PM Central Daylight Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

<< Sometimes cracks cause buzzing. Filling them or proper shimming
 will stop/prevent a buzz from a cracked soundboard >>

The crack doesn't cause the buzzing but the pieces of splintered wood
adjacent to each other across the gap of the crack. Shims will always recrack
along the glued edges at some point, so now there are three cracks instead of
one. Delaminated ribs are indeed another issue and need to be addressed
appropriately. I guess I don't mean to be such a hardass about this, but over
the years I've concluded (always subject to correction) that shimming is just
about as close to purely cosmetic as you can get; it makes the customer (or
buyer) think that there is no longer a problem, but the problem (the cause of
the original cracking) hasn't been fixed, just sidestepped. I'd appreciate
your take on this.
PR-J