Associate to associate

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 28 Apr 2001 10:49:59 -0500

Hey ric,
             I don't play. More than a few of my clients have offered to
teach me correct fingering.  But shake their heads at the dexterity of my
two fingers and thumb, along with the sensitivity of my fore finger.
I had training as a singer.  Many of the pianist I listen to, could further
their skills with some singing lessons, it would help them to phrase and
breath.
Oh the agony, to the listener when they lose a singing line.   I would love
to be able to play, but teaching this old dog new tricks would be a huge
challenge.
A keen ear,  a consistent and sensitive touch, ( fingers and feet) is the
only physical skill required,  enough musical knowledge, and people skills,
to hear what the client is not saying.  Then the ability to relate it to
the keyboard.
Many very fine technicians, finish their work and spend 5 mins checking the
piano after wards as a check.
Because of my lack of playing ability, I systematically run chromatics,
then intervals to check tuning, chromatic triads to check note to note
voicing (p and f), must have a smooth homogenous chord, octaves and double
octaves for tuning and tonal balance.
This approach ensures all 88's get the same treatment.
Mmmmmm  perhaps I should  find another profession, since I can't play?  The
playing technician's are going to be awful busy, if all the non players quit.
Have a great weekend.
Roger