water damage

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 28 Apr 2001 11:51:13 EDT

In a message dated 4/28/01 10:02:56 AM Central Daylight Time, dcp2@rmi.net
writes:

> List
>
> I service a Steinway D (1920's) which received some water damage this past
> week.   In addition to the obvious damage to some hammers, damper felts,
> backchecks, and finish, I wonder about possible problems with the wound
> strings.   Is it likely they will go dead in the near future due to the
> moisture which collected in the windings?   If any of you have information
> regarding this I would appreciate a response.
>
> If your answer is in the affirmative, I wonder if you could give me a
> ballpark figure for the cost and installation for a new set of wound
> strings?  (I need this info for the insurance company.)
>
> Thanks much.
>
> Donald C. Price, RPT

Donald

To answer your question directly, if the water got on the bass strings, then
the inner core wire will rust, and the strings will become dead. It would be
best to replace them now. The cost of replacing the strings will be about
$100 (whole sale) for the parts, and it takes about an hour to replace the
strings. But then you have to add in 6 or 7 tunings to make the piano stable.

But if there was enough water to merit replacing the hammers, back checks,
and to even refinish the piano, then you should replace all the strings. Not
only that, but if the water got on the pin area, you should also replace the
pin block. And while you have the plate out, be sure to bake the piano for a
couple of days to get the moisture out. Then you might find some cracks in
the soundboard.

This is a Steinway D. Don't let the insurance company let you do a "cheap"
repair. If the piano sustained water damage, to get the piano back to the
condition it was in before the damage, in my opinion, it should be completely
rebuilt.

Willem