removing plate on S&S Square

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 18:29:58 EDT

I am restringing a S&S Steinway Square grand, circa 1860. When I took of the
bass strings, they coiled up as if they were brand new. I figured someone had
twisted these babies several times, and that is why they still had a lot of
coil in them. But then today I took the rest of the strings off, and the same
thing happened The longest strings had an enormous amount of coil left in
them. I have never seen this before, even in 1900's Steinway, or any other
piano. Any one know why this might be?

I am having a problem getting the plate out. All the screws out, but it seems
to be stuck, especially on the right side. I did get a wood shim out from
underneath the rim, where the plate recesses under the rim. There is another
shim I have to try to get out. But other than that, I can't see what's
holding the plate down.

Anyone with some helpful advice?

Willem