SV: Feurich

Kjell Sverre Fardal ksfardal@online.no
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 22:37:52 +0200

After WW2 Feurich moved from Leipzig (former East-Germany) to Langlau
(W.Germany). Here they shared produktion facilities with two other
factories: Euterpe and  W. Hoffmann
(as asked for recently). Euterpe and W. Hoffmann was from that time making
identikal instruments (uprights and grands), the name on the fallboard was
the only difference.
Feurich was producing other models (upr. & gr.), 10 - 20 % more expensive /
better instruments. The quality and price on these instruments can be
compared with Schimmel.

The factory in Langlau was closed down a few years ago, and the W. Hoffmann
name was sold to the Bechstein-group. Three different piano models and three
grand models (the "World" series) are now beeing produced by Petrof and sold
with the W. Hoffmann name. Prices: just over Petrof prices. Bechstein also
produces a 124 cm upright in Berlin (costs aboat US$ 10.000,- here in
Europe).

Richard: I have tuned and serviced a lot of (german) W. Hoffmann pianos, and
they certanly have nothing with former DDR-Zimmermanns to do (might be one
ecxeption i Bergen ...?!). Zimmermann is also owned by Bechstein now.
Also the Feurich semi-concert grand (227 cm), which I use to work on where I
lived before, is an excellent instrument!

You can read more at: http://www.feurich.com  and http://www.bechstein.de

Kjell Sverre Fardal
Kristiansand / Norway,  NPTF / Europiano
ksfardal@online.no