Steinway Policy.. was grafs.

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 09:38:22 EDT

In a message dated 4/27/01 8:26:02 AM Central Daylight Time,
rbrekne@broadpark.no (Richard Brekne) writes:

> Steinways greatest error of ways... to my mind is this tendancy to be to
> quick to criticise anything not done in the "Steinway fashion"

I know all too well what you are talking about.  The rebuilding questions
aside, the Steinway service manual's procedure for tuning is a recipe for
Reverse Well.  The company's personnel has repeatedly scoffed at and turned
up their noses at me over the temperament issue.  But in my couple of visits
to Steinway Hall, I found not one single piano in a true ET but many tuned in
Reverse Well.

It's the ultimate in hypocrisy, in my opinion, when a company, from the top
people on down, *insist* upon a method that very few, if any of its people
can even demonstrate.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin