Steinway Policy.. was grafs.

Glenn Grafton glenn@graftonpiano.com
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 09:30:47 -0400

>Steinways greatest error of ways... to my mind is this tendancy to be to
>quick to criticise anything not done in the "Steinway fashoion" by
>"Steinway people" with "Steinway parts". I am left wondering how many
>potentially valuable allies amounst the piano tech world they would have
>had they instead reached out a bit more.... and what that would mean for
>the long term viability of their company.

This is a somewhat common pattern among manufacturers. In a related
area, we also sell and service church organs. Over the years we've
often come up with custom designed speaker cabinets-large bass
cabinets that will shake the floor, smaller bi-amped cabinets with a
sup woofer, etc.

There's a term for this and the Steinway issue at hand- N.I.H. (not
invented here). Doesn't mean it it's not better or to the customers
advantage.

I was also amazed a few years back when we were rebuilding a Steinway
grand for a school. The original lid was trashed so I needed to get a
new one. The price from Steinway was astronomical- $1200-1400 I
believe. Instead I took the lid to a local cabinet shop and asked if
they could duplicate it. I got a brand new lid back that was a dead
match for under $300 in less than a week.
--
Glenn Grafton
Grafton Piano & Organ Co.

The box said "Requires Windows 95, or better." So I bought a Macintosh.