Ideas for Room Climate Control?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 22:39:27 -0400

Hi Mary Bailey!

Yup! May I suggest something similar to what I do in my 900 square foot =
rebuilding shop. Being that I live in Florida and the relative humidity =
(RH) only rarely gets down to 35% - 40%, I only have to worry about =
dehumidifying. I have simply hooked a little cheapy Sears-type basement =
dehumidifier to a Damp-Chaser humidistat (the control knob on the =
dehumidifier is useless) and I also put a small fan on top of the =
dehumidifier to mix the air up - it is also plugged into the humidistat =
so that it only goes on when the dehumidifier goes on. I am using a dry =
calibration humidistat and it turns on and off right at about 50% RH =
according to my four little cheapy hygrometers.

Now for humidifying (assuming it is needed in your climate). I dunno. I =
have a little device at the ready (although I have not used it yet for =
this purpose) that should work. It is a cheap steam generating gizzmo =
that my wife picked up at the drug store when she was sick one time. She =
had a cough or something, and the doctor told her that steam or high =
humidity would help her. It's basically just a plastic several gallon =
reservoir with a little heating element in the middle that seems to =
kinda work like an automatic coffee maker (but instead of spitting out =
water, it produces steam). It doesn't heat all the water up - just an =
ounce or so at a time and boils it so that it is expelled from the unit =
as steam. Plug it into the humidifier plug on the humidistat and point a =
little fan on it and you have yourself an automatic humidifier. You =
would have to experiment with it to see how long the water lasts, etc =
(or hook up an automatic water supply with a float-type on-off valve). =
You could even go to the hardware store and get one of the add-on =
humidifier units that are made for forced air furnaces - they work much =
like the Damp-Chaser humidifier. Basically use anything that can move =
water from liquid to vapor form and blow it around the room with a =
little fan. This would be a great opportunity to be real creative.

The Damp-Chaser humidistats can handle up to 600 watts (I think I read =
that on the unit). My dehumidifier is right at 600 watts. Certainly some =
type of water vapor maker could be had that is less than 600 watts. =
Maybe an automatic mister for plants or lizards that would spray onto a =
porous material like a furnace filter and then have the fan blow through =
it thus evaporating the water. Who knows - be creative.

Or spend unpteen thousands of dollars and have a hi-tech climate control =
system professionally installed.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida