Eds graffs revisited :-)

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 09:32:41 +1000

Jim, Roger, Ed and all,

Jim wrote;

>  . . We were discussing graffs last night and this 'metric' thought
>crossed my mind

The Hamburg pianos use mostly 7/32"x 36 tpi. The Hamburg people
aren't even aware of the parts used in US pianos. Some years ago I
used US agraffes in a Hamburg D rebuild (since we were having some
problems dealing with Hamburg at the time - nothing's changed). I had
to enlarge the original agraffe holes and tap them for the larger US
agraffe thread stems.

When a rep from Hamburg inspected the piano, one of their criticisms
(amongst many others) was that we didn't use genuine Steinway parts.
He didn't realise that I had used genuine US Steinway parts. He
probably still doesn't, since I didn't bother correcting him.

They also criticised the reshaped capo bars. We shape them to a
special profile to allow for the hardening process to work. Again, I
told them nothing.

Regards,

Ron O

--