EBVT tunings

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 14:34:47 EDT

In a message dated 4/26/01 1:07:07 PM Central Daylight Time,
remoody@midstatesd.net (Richard Moody) writes:

> There is a first consideration to pursue before addressing the
> proposition that  "EBVT tunings cannot be accurately  represented by
> cents offset from ET." That is to get the person who says this to tune
> a piano in EBVT, erase the tuning, have him/her/them tune the piano
> again and see if the two tunings are the same. If they are, and  if
> the tuning was done by ear,  that is one thing.  Then I suppose you
> could bring in the machines to record it.    If he can only tune by
> machine simply ask for the offsets used.    What more can you ask for?
> For any tuning to be considered for performance or artist purposes it
> must be rendered consistant from piano to piano. Other wise what use
> is it?  If a single set of  offsets cannot satisfy this criterion then

I and at least one other person have explained this before but I guess the
message just did not get through.  I'm sure that a set of offsets can be
determined that would approximate the aural EBVT that I do or the way I do it
by the Direct Interval method using the SAT.  But what *none* of the smooth
curve calculation programs that I know of can do is Tempered Octave system
that I have used now for some 15 years (and by the way, have proved many
times over that I can do it with the same consistency whether aurally or
electronically).

In my aural instructions, it says to make the A3-A4 octave a 6:3 type.  Then,
if you follow the instructions through to tune a temperament sequence from
F3-F4, that octave will be a perfect 4:2 type.  As you ascend and descend the
scale of the piano, there will be octaves of varying sizes throughout.  As
far as I know, all of the programs there are create octaves that vary in size
only on a gradual basis, not from one note to the next.

Having already addressed all of the accusations of incorrectness, unethical
behavior and insanity, I can only say that if someone comes up with a set of
"Correction Figures" (as they are usually called) and uses them, thinking
that the result will be what I do, day in and day out, that person will have
results that do not match what I do in any way at all.

I tried the correction figures that Mr. Scott supplied some time ago and
wrote that the results were not at all accurate.  Now, I not being a person
who ever has used an FAC program and got paid for doing so, I'll hold open
the possibility that maybe I didn't know how to do it right.  But even if I
did and Mr. Scott's figures turn out to be correct, the issue of tuning
Tempered Octaves as I do will still not be satisfied, therefore, I still
maintain that no one can do what I do with that kind of approach.

I also, however hold open the possibility that with Mr. Scott's computer
expertise, he could eventually duplicate the Tempered Octave system, it will
just have to be another kind of approach that is completely different from
that which is used to tune ET.

Any person using an SAT to tune a Victorian temperament from Owen's book,
Tuning or a Victorian-like temperament such as the Coleman 11 will have a
result that is far different from what I do even though on the surface, the
EBVT, the Coleman 11 and one of the Broadwood temperaments appear to be
similar.

The EBVT with Tempered Octaves is an entirely new approach to the tuning of
the modern piano.  It must be studied to be learned and should be done first
aurally but an Electronic Tuning Device (ETD) such as the SAT can be used to
assist, verify and store the tuning as may be desired.

Please don't try to use an FAC type program to attempt the EBVT with tempered
octaves, it won't work because it is not based on the same principles.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin