EBVT tunings

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 02:34:42 -0500

Robert.
    There is a first consideration to pursue before addressing the
proposition that  "EBVT tunings cannot be accurately  represented by
cents offset from ET." That is to get the person who says this to tune
a piano in EBVT, erase the tuning, have him/her/them tune the piano
again and see if the two tunings are the same. If they are, and  if
the tuning was done by ear,  that is one thing.  Then I suppose you
could bring in the machines to record it.    If he can only tune by
machine simply ask for the offsets used.    What more can you ask for?
For any tuning to be considered for performance or artist purposes it
must be rendered consistant from piano to piano. Other wise what use
is it?  If a single set of  offsets cannot satisfy this criterion then
forget EBVT at least as far as machines are concerned.
    Now the cents offsets you give below can be put into a spread
sheet and the beat rates seen.   When you ask those to tune EBVT
arually, the beat rates should be provided, other wise how will we
know if the offsets really give that tuning, or if they are only close
to EBVT tuning, and if not, just where the offsets are on or off? If
you want I can enter the offsets into a spread sheet but I might can
almost  guarantee you from the argument you are pursuing, an argument
will come back, "well that is not quite right, because......
---ric

ps   Looking at the offcets (below) for one octave if inharmonicity
plays a part, the offsets should cover at least 7 octaves.   Otherwise
why tune A440 1.7 cents flat?