Korean Unison Stability

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 18:57:59 -0700

>is the
>fact that all the tri-chords are tied off at the hitch pin individually.
>Anybody have any insight?  Maybe my pin setting needs work...
>
>Mitch Ruth
>DeMossville, KY
>www.childrensmusicassociation.com

I service the SKG 600's (and 500's, but these do NOT have individual
tri-chords) quite often, and find them to tune up beautifully, and the
individually tied tri-chords are actually MORE stable IMHO. While your pin
setting may be suspect, it's more likely something else, such as humidity
flux, or settling and string relaxing if it's relatively a new piano. has it
been on a regular tuning schedule? Do you check each unison with a good
"whack" to the key, to make sure it's solid? After tuning, play some pieces
that will "test" the piano using forte passages. If it stands up after
playing, you've set the pins and strings.

Terry Peterson
Precision Piano Service
Torrance, CA