new strings

Brian Trout trouts_place@hotmail.com
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 17:53:26 -0400

Hi List,

Have been checking through the archives lately and came upon the new strings
post.

The replies so far have been good and informative.

I did want to emphasize a couple of areas that have caused me similar
"slippage" in the past.

1) The string needs to be well seated at the hitch pin.  If the string has a
twist in it from the installation process (some techs twist, some don't), it
will tend to sit up off the plate a bit (assuming non-acujust type hitch
pins) and if not seated down onto the plate, will tend to cause a bit of
tuning instability.

2) The becket that goes through the tuning pin hole should be bent in the
wire such that it's a pretty sharp angle coming out of the hole and starting
the coils.  I've made the mistake of not getting a sharp enough bend there
in the wire and it tended to want to pull the string out of the tuning pin
hole, thus, another source of tuning instability.

No doubt you've already made sure the coils were tight, that the string was
well seated on the bridge pins.  Like others have suggested, you can
normally pull the pitch a little higher and "massage" the string in the
plain wire areas as well as using the ol' thumbs to put pressure on the
string at various places along the winding in an attempt to hurry along the
stretching process.

Just my $0.02, not because I know much, but 'cause it's a couple of places
I've messed up in the past.  Live and learn!

Best wishes,

Brian Trout
trouts_place@hotmail.com
no longer in Quarryville, PA, but now in Slidell, Louisiana!!  Just got the
old computer set up in the new shop!  Look out world! (LOL!!)