string seating - was bridge caps

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 21:59:44 +0200

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> Another interesting tidbit.
>
> A string at 160#, with a 10° stagger angle across a bridge top, with pin
> draft angle at 20° exerts a 9.5# force on the bridge cap in addition to the
> downbearing force. That makes the string pressure on the bridge cap over
> three times the actual downbearing force in this configuration with a 1°
> downbearing. A negative bearing of just under 3.5° would be required
> (friction ignored) to balance the downbearing (negative in this case) and
> side bearing forces for zero pressure on the bridge cap under the strings.
>
> Evidence mounts.
>
> Ron N

Grin...you convinced me a week ago of the primary forces involved in making the
indentation... but this post points in a whole bunch of new directons......
about like why some boards with apparent negative bearing still seem to sound
pretty good...

btw..What (draft)  angle for bridge pins can be said (if any) to be most
typical ?

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.