string seating - was bridge caps

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 14:52:50 -0500

>Much easier to read...a couple questions if you will forgive my
>ignorance....:)  You have pin angles as high as 28 ...degrees ? And
>the resistance down / up numbers... those are units of what ?... psi
>or ??

Pounds. The pin angles shown are for illustration of the principal, showing
the changes of load with changes of angle. The 28° pin angle was where the
static friction went negative. I do not build bridges with that pin angle.

>Could you put all this  into a formula
>form to show exactly what pressure is put onto the bridge at the
>edges on the bridge ?

I have.

>ounds a bit difficult to do for the rest of
>the bridge as  the farther away from the bridge pins the less affect
>from them... in an exponential fashion I suppose..

I don't care about the center of the bridge, only the part where the damage
is done that produces false beating and the perceived imperative to seat
strings periodically.

Ron N