Tuning Stamina

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 06:12:07 -0400

"Someday I'd like to tune more than three pianos a day, but I still have =
my full-time job of MOM and I need to be home by the time school's out =
:) "

Hey! Way cool. That's pretty much my schedule. When I get home with my =
son, it's into the shop and rebuilding. Ain't life grand! (pun intended)

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: marty reyburn=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2001 10:55 PM
  Subject: Re: Tuning Stamina

  Hello ;)

  I have had chronic shoulder pain from x-ray diagnosed bone spurs in my =
shoulder bones.  The doctor gave me cortisone shots and didn't offer =
much hope of full recovery *sigh*.  Not a fun prognosis considering I =
play the violin and I USE my shoulders constantly.

  And now I'm tuning pianos, too... more stress... so when Dean started =
teaching me hammer technique, he put a well-designed impact hammer in my =
hand.  Makes a very big difference in my fatigue level and there is also =
the side benefit of not twisting the tuning pins!  I don't have the =
sheer muscle mass you guys have, so I was thankful for Dean's =
thoughtfulness in providing me with such a great tool.  I also have a =
double-headed one for grand tuning, but a regular ball-ended hammer =
works just as well most of the time.

  This idea might sound sortof like a no-brainer, but I've begun a =
program of weight training to build up strength in my upper back and =
shoulders.  I'm amazed at how much improvement's been made in just a =
couple weeks of lifting.  And no, I don't plan on bulking up... I just =
want to be able to heft my toolcase without making a side trip to the =
chiropractor! =20

  Someday I'd like to tune more than three pianos a day, but I still =
have my full-time job of MOM and I need to be home by the time school's =
out :)  =20

  Be well

  Marty Reyburn