superlightweight piano

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 15:13:05 -0700 (PDT)

--- Mark Story <mark.story@mail.ewu.edu> wrote:
> With current technology and materials, there is
> definitely a bottom limit
> with piano weight. In order to terminate the strings
> firmly and minimize
> harmonic energy loss to the terminating structure
> (plate and back), you must
> have mass. I suppose that with lighter stringing you
> could decrease the
> required mass, but at a cost of sound quality.

I don't mind if it makes a normal spinet/console sound
like a concert grand in comparison, so long as the
tone is acceptable from at least middle C on up, and i
can tell what an A or B or C in the low bass is.  I'm
thinking a tone that mainly emphasizes the
fundamental, like what you get when you have
80-year-old bass strings that have dirt embedded in
the windings and the tone is dull.  It would sound
funny imo if you tried to make it sound anything like
a larger piano by allowing higher harmonics to ring
out.  There would probably be false beats all over the
place.

An