Coming soon... Pocket RCT!

Dean L. Reyburn, RPT dean@reyburn.com
Wed, 18 Apr 01 00:13:05 -0400

Mark Story <mark.story@mail.ewu.edu> writes
>Dean,
>
>This is indeed exciting. Five years ago, who would have thought we
>could have so much power in our shirt pockets? I am also a former
>Palm user. I lost my IIIc and decided to replace it with a PocketPc
>- mostly for the display and memory. I hope that you find that you
>can compile this for the Cassiopia as well. Though the processor is
>150mhz, the display is quicker than the HP Journada 24X. We can sell
>the Casio EM500 for just $399.99 right now, $200 less than the iPAQ
>3635. Who knows what things will be like by summer's end though?

It is our hope that by summer's end and Pocket RCT's release that it
will run on most if not all (then) current PocketPC hardware. However
we're just concentrating on the Compaq iPaq for now. I'm being
conservative since I don't want someone buying a machine to run Pocket
RCT on my recommendation unless I'm sure it will be compatible and fast
enough.

The PocketPC platform allows makers to use just about any cpu that they
want. Currently PocketPC's use StrongArm, Hitachi SH3 and MIPS. That
means that the software makers have to re-compile the program for each
targeted cpu. And since realtime programs such as RCT are sensitive to
cpu speed each cpu will need to be tested and qualified.

I simply haven't had time to check out the slower cpu's. The iPaq has a
206mhz strongarm cpu which has power to spare so I'm just concentrating
on that for now.

There is probably better than a 50% chance that Pocket RCT will run on
your Casio, but that's as far as I'd go for now. I'll be trying as hard
as I can to get Pocket RCT to run on the less expensive machines, and
updating my web site on this as we go.

If anyone would like to be notified of updates about our upcoming Pocket
RCT software, we have a new info only listserv just for this.
Subscription syntax is similar to pianotech. Send any email to:

 majordomo@reyburn.com

In the body of the message put:

 subscribe pocketrct

When news is available we'll email this list.

-Dean

 Dean L. Reyburn, RPT      RPS, Inc.          email:  dean@reyburn.com
 2695 Indian Lakes Road                      web page: www.reyburn.com
 Cedar Springs, Michigan, 49319 USA
 1-888-SOFT-440 (or 616-696-1002)                    Fax: 616-696-8121