Tunelab97 Question

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 17:59:13 -0400

Answers interspersed ok?

euphoniac@juno.com wrote:

> Greg,
>
> I'm sorry that it took so long for me to write back with my Tunelab97
> questions.  Today was the first day that I actually tried to tune a piano
> with Tunelab.
>
> Question #1:
>
> Are you actually supposed to make the black squares stop in order for the
> string to be exactly in tune?  I was able to get close to making them
> stop, but there was still some movement.

As close as you can get. Naturally the closer you get the cleaner it will
sound.
Practice, practice, practice.

> Question #2:
>
> When I get ready to exit the program after I have tuned a piano, and it
> asks me if I want to save the file, what is it that I'm actually saving?
> Am I saving the inharmonicity or everything that I did during the tuning?

Your saving the values for each note as you've made them by adjusting the
template curve.

>  If it is the inharmonicity that I am saving, when I tune this particular
> piano again, will I need to measure the inharmonicity again?

No, you will not NEED to measure everything again but it is highly
recommended that you do anyway. Pianos change, environments change other
things change, and it's just good policy to measure each time and build fresh
unless you either just don't have the time or find yourself in a noisy
environment.

> Question #3:
>
> While in the "Autoselect" mode, as I tune higher than A4, Tunelab doesn't
> seem to change the octaves in A5 and above.  Should this be happening?
> Is there something more that I need to do maybe in the calibration area?

I'm not sure. I assume that you're talking about autoselecting the note your
tuning. I don't tune that way. I got into the habit from the Accutuner days
of tuning chromatically from A0 to C88 with aural checks along the way. I've
never had much trouble with the note switching part of the program but
perhaps it's worth checking with Bob Scott (inventor of TuneLab) at
rscott@wwnet.net . He's been great about helping folks with his program even
if you haven't registered yet. If you haven't please consider it. These guys
do a whole lot of work on these things and we want to continue to make it
worth their while. I think it's only $34 or so anyway.

> I look forward to hearing your responses.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Don Palmire

Any time Don. I hope this helps. I'll forwarn you that I'm out of town until
Monday the 23rd so any questions you send will fall on deaf ears 'till then.
I'm guessing I'll have over 5-600 messages waiting for me then so even if I
get back I might not see your post right away. Do feel free to mail Robert
Scott. He's a great guy and will help. I think that he also benefits when he
hears different questions that people have because it helps him to build the
next one so it's more self explanatory.

Cheers!

Greg Newell
Greg's Piano Forté