lightweight pianos

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 11:39:27 -0700 (PDT)

I was wondering -- what is the smallest it is possible
to build a piano and still have 88 keys?  I wouldn't
mind if it has to be a spinet.  I'm wondering if it's
possible to build one (not that I would undertake the
project anytime soon) light enough for one person (a
non-weightlifter) to be able to lift and carry the
piano a short distance.  I'm thinking -- is it
possible to have a piano weigh under 100 pounds?
I'm basically considering a stringing scale (in this
case -- # & type of strings per note) like A1 - D18 =
wound monochord, D#19 - A37 = wound bichord, and A#38
- C88 = plain trichord, with the bass/treble break at
E32/F33.  I could understand some variations in this
-- I was throwing out some numbers based on stringing
scales of pianos I have seen.   As for the size of the
piano -- I was thinking a height of about 30 inches
and a width of about 51 inches and a weight under 85
pounds (50 preferred but don't think is possible --
doubtful if even under 100 is possible).  The piano
I'm thinking of would only have 2 pedals -- a soft
pedal and sustain pedal.  What do you RPTs think is
the smallest it is possible to build such a piano?