what does "toscanello" mean?

Gordon Holley gordon_holley@hi-techhousing.com
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:39:04 -0500

Richard, I'll try to piece this together.  Toscanello is an Italian cheese
which is semi-hard with a smooth rind and a whitish paste.  The flavor of
the cheese is mild, slightly sharp. However as it translate to music.
 Toscanello In Musica, Pietro Aaron, begins Aron's exposition of rules for
composing counterpoint.  Defined as "note against note" which, if done
correctly, should produce "a harmonic concordance of the extreme sounds."
 You can find a complete explanation of this on the web at:
http://humanities.uchicago.edu/classes/zbikowski/week8sum.html.  Scroll
down to page 4 of 9.
Regards, Gordon Holley, Goshen, Indiana