Steinway Sustain

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 00:33:25 +0930

André, Ron, Kevin, David, David, Roger and Newton

The history of this piano is that it was sold by Allans in Melbourne at a
very cheap price on the recommendation of a well known pianist at a very
cheap price.  I suspect that many techs in Melbourne have tried to fix the
problem but can't. Thus the price.  AU$27,500.00.

Have regulated the action some time ago to 1mm and spent a few hours filing
hammers, mating to the strings, setting hammer strike etc but the problem
stayed about the same. Its probably due for another major regulation but I
don't think that's it.

Hammers are hard, have thought of changing them but have doubts that this
will fix the problem, maybe give me a better tone but not fix the problem.

I have a gut feeling that the problem is related to the aliquot bar or the
soundboard.
Didn't think that a soundboard design would be a problem with a Steinway.

The sustain has the same problem wether plucked or struck, seems to rule out
the hammers and regulation.  From memory the problem area is related to  one
section  of the aliquot system and I thought at the time that maybe that
section was not seated properly, not sure.

I am trying to decide on which path of attack to go.

Check the downbearing between bridge and aliquot, board crown, ribs, liners,
bridge pins, weight the soundboard down to stiffen it (is a great idea)
analize results.

A Steinway is a Steinway, its still the best piano in town, I want it
better, I don't ever want a complaint.  It has the tone, is clear of sound,
easy to tune, rock solid but.

You know what I mean.

Being the only tech in town I am often flat out, never make money (forget to
raise prices every year). Not having any peers to talk to or discuss
problems sometime makes this a lonely job.

Thanks guys,

Tony Caught